Sunday, October 14, 2018

Desert Survival: Information For Anyone Traveling In The Desert Southwest, 1962 ©

 

One of my favorite things to do is to read books on survival and the outdoors…right…wow!...guess I don’t have many friends…maybe I need a hobby…

 

Anyways, I found this article buried in over a hundred pages of unrelated documents in a PDF in the Arizona Geological Society, Doug K. Martin Mining Collection.  It was created by the Maricopa County Civil Defense Joint Council in 1962 and is one of the best overall articles that I have ever read on traveling in the outdoors and survival.  It was written with desert survival and travel in the American Southwest in mind, however, the lessons it teaches can be applied to any wilderness area.

 

I copied the article below: if the pictures are printed, they can be folded and assembled into a booklet.

 

I hope that you enjoy reading it as much as I did.  The link to the original file in the Arizona Geological Society, Doug K. Martin Mining Collection is below if you would like to view the original file: see pages 5 through 20, for Desert Survival.


Desert Survival covers

Desert Survival page blank and 25

Desert Survival page 24 and i

Desert Survival page ii and 23

Desert Survival page 22 and iii

Desert Survival page iv and 21

Desert Survival page 20 and 1

Desert Survival page 2 and 19

Desert Survival page 18 and 3

Desert Survival page 4 and 17


Desert Survival page 6 and 15

Desert Survival page 14 and 7

Desert Survival page 8 and 13

Desert Survival page 12 and 9

Desert Survival page 10 and 11

 

I hope that you continue to enjoy The Woodsman’s Journal Online and look for me on YouTube at Bandanaman Productions for other related videos, HERE.  Don’t forget to follow me on both The Woodsman’s Journal Online, HERE, and subscribe to BandanaMan Productions on YouTube.  If you have questions, as always, feel free to leave a comment on either site.  I announce new articles on Facebook at Eric Reynolds, on Instagram at bandanamanaproductions, and on VK at Eric Reynolds, so watch for me.

 

That is all for now, and as always, until next time, Happy Trails!

 

 

Sources

 

Civil Defense Joint Council, Desert Survival: Information For Anyone Traveling In The Desert Southwest, 1962 (Maricopa County; Phoenix, Arizona [1962]) reprinted in http://docs.azgs.az.gov/SpecColl/1988-01/1988-01-0026.pdf, p. 5-20

 


No comments:

Post a Comment