Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The End of 2018 and the Beginning of 2019 ©






It is the end of 2018 and The Woodsman’s Journal Online is officially three months old.  It has been a busy three months, and I would like to thank everyone who has visited the Woodsman’s Journal and read my articles or has watched my videos at Bandanaman Productions on YouTube.  Thank you and I hope that the coming New Year is kind to you.

At the end of this old year and the beginning of the new, I want to take a moment to define and refine the mission statement for both the Woodsman’s Journal and Bandanaman Productions.  Over the last twelve years, ever since I started teaching wilderness and survival skills, I have found that that the part of this journey that I enjoyed as much as being out in the wilderness doing things or teaching people how to thrive in the outdoors; was doing the research. 

I am a voracious reader and researching how to do things in the woods or authentic woods lore from 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st centuries is something that I enjoy and is, if I do say so myself, something that I have gotten very good at.  So…

The mission of The Woodsman’s Journal Online and Bandanaman Productions is to be the best-researched resource available to the online user.  My articles and videos are intended to be a compilation of my research, this way you the reader or viewer, will not have to spend your time doing the research that I have already done.  So that you can gather more information for yourself, if you choose, I will always provide a list of the sources I have consulted and endnotes when and where needed. 

 
A note on Evidence and Positive Proof, a selection from Williams, A Compendious and Comprehensive Law Dictionary, 1816

To be the best-researched resource available, I will follow the rules and practices outlined below.  To provide proper evidence and conclusions, and to establish positive proof, I will always use at least three sources for every article, whenever they are available.  When three different sources are not available and there cannot be positive proof, which is very likely when researching antique woods lore from the 18th and early 19th centuries, since everyday skills of everyday people, were generally not recorded, as they were not deemed important; I will use circumstantial evidence and the doctrine of presumption.  The doctrine of presumption states that, “…when the fact itself cannot be demonstratively evinced, that which comes nearest to the proof of the fact is the proof…” (Williams, 1816).  I will always tell you when I am using circumstantial evidence and the doctrine of presumption.

 
A section from Miller’s Camp Craft, 1916, p. 168

Lastly I will always tell you when I have not actually done something myself and I am reporting someone else’s experience.  In addition, I will endeavor, whenever practical, to experiment with the techniques, methods and tips and then report to you on the results.

Again, a most heartfelt “Thank You” to everyone who has visited the Woodsman’s Journal and read my articles or has watched my videos at Bandanaman Productions on YouTube; I wish the best to you for the coming New Year.


Sources:


Thomas Walter Williams, A Compendious and Comprehensive Law Dictionary; Elucidating the Terms and General Principals of Law and Equity, [Printed for Gale and Fenner, Paternoster Row, London, 1816], EVIDENCE p. 2 https://books.google.com/books?id=sw8yAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false, (accessed 4/18/2017)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Eix's comment was deleted because unauthorized advertisements are not allowed

      Delete