Author’s note -- I hope that you enjoy learning from this resource! To help me to continue to provide valuable free content, please consider showing your appreciation by leaving a donation HERE. Thank you and Happy Trails!
The
Butternut, juglans cinerea, is a fascinating species of tree,
historically it’s nuts were used as food by Native Americans and early
settlers, since the kernel of the nut is sweet, oily, and edible; it was also a
source medium brown wood, herbal medicines and sugar-sap.
The
only good news in this two front war that the Butternut tree is in, is that the
hybridized trees, called Buartnut trees, which are part Butternut and part Japanese
walnut, tend to resist butternut canker infection and heal quickly if
infected. They also have the
characteristic hybrid vigor, grow rapidly and don’t drop their leaves until
after a killing frost, unlike butternuts, which drop their leaves two or more
weeks before the first heavy frost.
Another
way is to count the nuts. According to
the USDA, Butternuts bear singly or in clusters of from 2 to 5 nuts, and Buartnut
trees typically produce 8 to 15 nuts in a single cluster. Another is to compare the shape and ridge
structure of the nut.
Based
on the work of Purdue University it looks like what I found are Butternut, juglans
cinerea, nuts.
So...Okay
I’m not going to eat them. If they had
been hybrid Buartnut trees I would have talked about how to harvest them and
use them for food. However now in a
future article, I’m going to talk about how to germinate and plant them instead.
I
hope that you continue to enjoy The Woodsman’s Journal Online and look for me
on YouTube at BandanaMan Productions for other related videos, HERE. Don’t forget to follow me on both The
Woodsman’s Journal Online, HERE,
and subscribe to BandanaMan Productions on YouTube. If you have questions, as always, feel free
to leave a comment on either site. I
announce new articles on Facebook at Eric Reynolds, on Instagram at
bandanamanaproductions, and on VK at Eric Reynolds, so watch for me.
That
is all for now, and as always, until next time, Happy Trails!
Sources
Amherst
College, “Butternut (Juglans cinerea)”, https://www.amherst.edu/museums/naturalhistory/education/community-connections/amherst-college-wildlife-sanctuary/206---flora/node/803401,
accessed September 12, 2026
International
Dendrology Society, “Carya illinoinensis (Wangenh.) K. Koch”, https://www.treesandshrubsonline.org/articles/carya/carya-illinoinensis/,
accessed September 12, 2026
Purdue
University, “Forestry and Natural Resources; Identification of Butternuts and
Butternut Hybrids”, FNR-420-W, https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/fnr-420-w.pdf,
accessed September 19, 2026
USDA;
“Butternut Juglans cinerea L.”, https://research.fs.usda.gov/silvics/butternut,
accessed September 19, 2026
Wikimedia,
“Juglans cinerea, Juglandaceae, Butternut, White Walnut, leaves and bark”, by
H. Zell, July 13, 2009, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Juglans_cinerea_002.JPG,
accessed September 12, 2026







No comments:
Post a Comment